About the role:
CQ Roll Call is looking for an intern to join the CQ research team. The ideal candidate will be a recent college graduate or a rising junior or senior with a reporting or editing background. Candidates who are familiar with public policy and congressional decision-making will be given preference.
The internship is full-time and based out of the CQ Roll Call newsroom in downtown Washington, D.C. Your duties will consist primarily of legislative research as well as reporting and writing -- both for CQ, the weekly magazine and our social media feeds. Interns have ample opportunity to work from Capitol Hill where they're encouraged to pose questions to senators, representatives, and hill staffers.
Interested candidates should send a brief cover letter, résumé, three clips and a letter of recommendation with their application.
- Perform a range of tasks depending on the newsroom’s needs in a given semester
- Cover committee markups and hearings and attend policy events around town
- Conduct legislative research, meeting and working with CQ staff members from various departments
- Visit Capitol Hill with one of CQ’s reporters, who will show you the ropes and help you navigate the Capitol complex
- Work experience or previous internship in journalism or a government setting is preferred but not required
- Good communication skills, both written and oral and attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Profoundly interested in journalism and/or government
- Able to prioritize and be organized
- Creative and flexible in your work style
- A self-starter who can take direction and contribute ideas
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
Washington’s CQ Roll Call brings up-to-date news, analysis, and insights to senior decision-makers on Capitol Hill. This trusted source of unbiased, impartial information provides authoritative, nonpartisan and accurate congressional news and legislative tracking tools to its subscribers. Through more than 40 print and online products, CQ Roll Call keeps readers updated on a weekly, daily and real-time basis covering every legislative action in Congress with breaking news, bill tracking, and member profiles and offers insight on the people and institutions that influence public policy and legislation.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote earned the Top Workplace™ award for our ever-growing and diverse company culture bolstered by our company values which are at the core of every decision we make. We are always looking for individuals who are excited and driven by opening data to help impact the world around them.