About the Research Team
Our Research Team is tasked to dig deep into interesting, complex, and oftentimes noisy data about the outside world and our clients and come up with valuable insights that not only describe the way the world is now, but how best to navigate it. It aims to fundamentally alter the way people and organizations across industries make decisions by leveraging machine learning and natural language processing to provide real-time analysis and information that reduces political uncertainty and creates a more transparent legal system. Our platforms analyze unstructured data relating to policy and government action in the legislative and regulatory space in order to delight our customers with an unprecedented level of data-based descriptive and predictive analysis.
About the Role
At the core of our advanced analytics are our research scientists -- designing, implementing, and deploying innovative solutions to a wide range of problems such as predicting government action, analyzing the impact of regulatory documents, extracting patterns from web content, and modeling user behavior to personalize content relevance. Because we’re always identifying newer and more complex problems, we’re on the lookout for research scientists who thrive in environments catering to applicable analysis by day, and shoot-for-the-moon risk taking by night. You’ll lead the way in all stages of researching and developing insightful and actionable models and analysis, looking into the future and becoming an internal and external expert.
• Lead research, design, and analysis for truly innovative utilization and development of new types of models and data
• Perform exploratory analysis and prototyping
• Engage with internal and external stakeholders to understand pain-points and foresee and drive development to meet those needs
• Serve as expert and communicate technical expertise internally to both technical and non-technical team members, and externally through talks and publications
• 3+ years of practical experience in one or more of the following:
• Machine Learning Experience: linear models, deep learning, graphical models, bayesian modeling, supervised/unsupervised learning, content personalization
• Natural Language Processing Experience: applications of ML to NLP, information extraction and retrieval, search, automated content generation, multilingual systems
• Computational Social Science Experience: policy/legislative/regulatory analysis, comparative politics, financial analysis
• Advanced degree in Computer Science/Statistics/Applied Math/Economics/Political Science/Law (or related discipline) preferred
• Experience working with large structured and unstructured data sets in a distributed framework (preferably Hadoop, Spark, or Storm)
• An independent motivation to solve problems and conduct research
• Solid programming skills to quickly prototype and make technical decisions leading to production, preferably in Python
• Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills
You're a computer scientist looking to make an impact, a political scientist with a computational bend, an economist or statistician that yearns for more kinds of data, a machine learning specialist that wants to push the boundaries, or maybe even a physicist or mathematician who's making a transition. In any case, you become uncomfortable when you don’t understand something, and choose to relentlessly seek out solutions rather than ever give up. You’re guided equally by your own intuition and delivering the best results to the customer. You’re comfortable around ambiguity with a high degree of autonomy, and are excited about solving complex, open-ended problems by distilling the complexity as simply as necessary to build solutions that work. Along the way, you’re comfortable communicating what you’re thinking to both technical and non-technical audiences, taking in others’ ideas as well as expressing your own. Interested in both theory and application, you’re equally comfortable creating a novel model, as well as working with product managers or journalists to define impactful problems and engineering teams to productionize it. You’ve built or deployed statistical solutions, especially involving NLP and ML, and are excited about productionizing research to push the bounds of people’s expectations.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote earned the Top Workplace™ award for our ever growing and diverse company culture bolstered by our company values which are at the core of every decision we make. We are always looking for individuals who are excited and driven by opening data to help impact the world around them.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.