About Multimedia at CQ Roll Call
Our growing team is bringing policy and politics to life through visuals and audio. We’re creatives who are transforming how stories are told, and fostering that culture across the newsroom. We reject “that’s the way we’ve always done it,” and embrace change. We come from diverse backgrounds but we’re aligned as committed storytellers who seek the truth.
About the role
CQ Roll Call is seeking a full-time Video Editor to join a team of visual journalists telling the biggest stories about policy and politics.
You’ll be in on the ground floor of our growing multimedia team, covering the dramatic and even absurd nuances of national politics, Hill gossip, policy topics such as financial technology and climate change, and more.
Candidates for this position are creative and innovative in their storytelling, have strong news judgment, can source video from a variety of platforms and have a passion for accuracy.
You’re a natural at making politics and policy come to life through video. Your specialty is quick edits, getting important content in the hands of our audience in a competitive manner. You’re a top-notch storyteller and an ace writer, especially when it comes to writing to video.
• Work with multimedia leadership to create a strategy and plan for monitoring and executing breaking visual political and policy news
• This includes training beat editors and reporters on gathering the most newsworthy, quality video around Washington and across the country
• You’ll man the desk during the busiest parts of the day, quickly editing video, accurately writing text-on-screen to accompany and finally, distributing to our site, social media and other platforms
• Write SEO-optimized, engaging, provocative and informative headlines and chatter to accompany videos
• Use deep social media smarts to tailor videos based on the platform, and working with the social and audience team to execute those plans
• Exceptional, fast editing skills on Adobe Premiere or equivalent; motion graphics editing experience in Adobe After Effects a plus
• A background covering politics and policy in a major media market
• Three years experience producing high-quality videos at a national news organization
• An understanding of new forms of storytelling, and a deep understanding and expertise in audience engagement on social video platforms
• A command of fact-checking and journalistic best practices
• Video shooting and lighting expertise
• Competency working in Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator a plus
• Video codecs & export settings understanding
• Mastery of various video processes & familiarity with using metadata/tags
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and hearing rooms. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill. Our journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate and how the process affects your interests. We have print, digital and multimedia products as well as topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, committee and floor votes. Our journalists have won the Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting on Congress and honors from the White House News Photographers Association and National Press Club.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.