About The Role
Are you a congressional nerd, policy wonk or political junkie? If so, you should know that we're seeking a Legislative Tracking Researcher to help maintain a database of information from (and on) areas such as the Congressional Record, Federal Register, House and Senate floors and government personnel. This individual will work with other team members to ensure the comprehensiveness and accuracy of CQ Roll Call content. The BillTrack researcher position requires exceptional accuracy and attention to detail, as well as the ability to work under pressure and meet firm deadlines.
Additional responsibilities include the timely and accurate production, publication and maintenance of various CQ.com databases, external data feeds and other content to provide CQ Roll Call with superior federal, state and local data. The role requires a strong attention to detail, thoroughness and an understanding of the legislative process and CQ operating systems.
Legislative Tracking Researchers cover House and Senate action gavel-to-gavel and must be available to work hours largely decided by the congressional schedule.
• Quickly and accurately collect, process, code and publish legislative data, documents, amendments, transcripts, bill information or other data as assigned by a manager
• Track every action on the House or Senate floor as it happens
• Duties may include writing briefing reports, covering committee markups and preparing bill summaries for committee markups.
• Politely respond to and acting upon newsroom questions or requests for information on floor proceedings in a timely manner
• Demonstrate an understanding of operational tools, procedures and troubleshooting
• Work with editors to build professional skills while contributing to the larger newsroom's news gathering efforts
• Cultivate relationships with congressional sources and government agencies for informational, journalistic and document source purposes and helping colleagues do the same
• Contribute ideas about product priorities and what data may need additional work as well as ideas about how to improve operations and CQ products
• Provide subscribers with complete, timely coverage of error-free, quality legislative information within set deadlines and consistent with CQ Roll Call style
• Develop an understanding of the CQ Roll Call databases and the procedures for updating that content
• Successfully develop knowledge of CQ Roll Call legislative tracking products and legislative procedures
• Adapt to and balance long hours and a capricious congressional schedule while juggling multiple assignments
• Consider a task complete once he or she has confirmed the content's successful posting to CQ.com or other specified CQ Roll Call product
• One year of experience with the federal government, politics, legislative policy or Capitol Hill
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent
• Experience with large amounts of data entry
• Knowledge of congressional procedure
• Attention to detail and good organizational abilities
• Ability to work a schedule that largely mirrors the House or Senate hours of operation
• Ability to meet strict deadlines
• Familiarity with Congress and the legislative process and knowledge of congressional operations, procedure and policymaking
• Ability to read and summarize drafts of legislation and amendments
• Ability to develop sources, gather information and process content consistent with CQ Roll Call style
• Basic knowledge of HTML, the Internet, Microsoft Office and electronic media
About CQ Roll Call
Washington’s CQ Roll Call brings up-to-date news, analysis, and insights to senior decision-makers on Capitol Hill. This trusted source of unbiased, impartial information provides authoritative, nonpartisan and accurate congressional news and legislative tracking tools to its subscribers. Through more than 40 print and online products, CQ Roll Call keeps readers updated on a weekly, daily and real-time basis covering every legislative action in Congress with breaking news, bill tracking, and member profiles and offers insight on the people and institutions that influence public policy and legislation.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote earned the Top Workplace™ award for our ever growing and diverse company culture bolstered by our company values which are at the core of every decision we make. We are always looking for individuals who are excited and driven by opening data to help impact the world around them.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.