About the Role
CQ Roll Call is seeking a high-impact journalist to join our dynamic reporting team, with a specific focus on trade issues and how they intersect with business and investments. We keep our readers informed with legislative tracking, as well as news and analysis through print, digital, audio and video. This role will offer you the opportunity to break news, write long-form magazine narratives and contribute to newsletters. Your expertise will also be utilized for podcasts, videos and events.
- Demonstrate a track record of reporting and writing smart, sophisticated stories and enterprise that drive the conversation about trade policy and its impact on businesses and investors
- Have established sources and contacts on trade, businesses that export and import, and related fields, and be able to expand that list of experts
- Write clearly and accurately on tight deadlines, both breaking news and broader enterprise stories
- Have a proven ability to handle a demanding, fast-moving beat
- Dig through data and reports to find untold stories and be able to analyze data sets to determine newsworthy trends
- Write proactively about trade and business issues to drive debate on Capitol Hill and the administration
- Pitch and produce sharply written stories for all CQ and Roll Call products. Produce content for videos and podcasts, and participate in events that showcase your expertise
- Work with reporters who cover trade policy through the lens of Congress and government agencies, as well as reporters who focus on foreign affairs. You will be part of a collaborative newsroom that supports each other’s work.
- 5+ years of journalism experience covering trade, exports/imports, business and related topics for newspapers, news websites, news magazines or other news organizations
- Demonstrated ability in covering Congress, federal agencies or a legislative body for a news outlet
- Knowledge of foreign policy and its impact on business and economics
- Computer-assisted reporting skills including use of databases, Excel and other programs and tools
- A track record of producing unique scoops and compelling features for news outlets
- Strong written and verbal communication abilities
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, competitive environment
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
You are a self-motivated journalist with the drive to succeed. You’re a team player who pitches in wherever necessary to support your team and company, and readers interested in trade and business.
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We represent the largest press corps on Capitol Hill and serve an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management and Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.