About the Role
CQ Roll Call is seeking a digital audio producer with significant technical expertise to join its growing newsroom podcast team. Candidates for this position have experience telling engaging audio stories with broadcast-quality sound. From gathering unique natural sound to recording clear, clean interviews, to audio restoration and repair, you’ll be our go-to on audio quality control.
You’ll join our team for the development, launch, and execution of creative, new podcasts in areas such as financial technology, energy policy and the 2020 campaign. You’re a self-starter, interested in building things and fixing things when technical issues happen. At a time when CQ Roll Call is also building a state-of-the-art podcast studio, and investing in multimedia overall — you’ll be integral to shaping our vision.
You’ll move fast when you arrive, immediately evaluating and assisting in expanding CQ Roll Call’s three current podcasts — Political Theater, CQ on Congress and CQ Budget. You’re a problem-solver at heart, with a particular love of making audio storytelling come to life. You’ve worked in newsrooms and are passionate about podcasts and the value they provide their audiences.
• Oversee all technical aspects of CQ Roll Call’s audio storytelling
• Create gold standard overall sound through documentation and training
• Build a robust audio library for quick and easy access
• Gather and source timely news and archival audio; restore and repair audio and troubleshoot technical problems
• Record studio and field interviews free of distortion, roominess, interference and other distracting and unnecessary sounds; coach reporters on gathering quality audio in the field is also a must
• Edit complex narrative audio that feels natural and organic to the listener
• Achieve balanced and consistent mixing, coaching others on staff to troubleshoot issues for maximum quality
• Work with producers and hosts on episode themes, giving crucial input on how sound can be creatively used to tell or enhance stories; work with the team on writing enticing and engaging headlines
• Assist team on booking guests and setting up off-site interviews
• Promote products to podcast apps, social media channels, and more
• Thrive in a fast-paced environment, keeping calm during live and live-to-tape audio podcasts
• 3-5 years of experience telling audio stories at a major news outlet with sound production skills.
• Strong comprehension of processing gear, computer applications, digital audio editing and internet applications necessary for producing broadcast-quality audio across multiple podcasts
• Specific knowledge on mini-disc recorders and players, digital sound mixers and creating/building strong audio environments is a must
• A drive to tell accurate, concise stories that serve the public good
• Strong attention to detail for executing clean individual podcasts, and an ability to step back and monitor the entire podcast suite’s sound and tone
• A pulse on the audio storytelling industry. You keep up on new tools and equipment that will help our products shine
• Proven track record operating under tight deadline constraints
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and hearing rooms. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill. Our journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate and how the process affects your interests. We have print, digital and multimedia products as well as topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, committee and floor votes. Our journalists have won the Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting on Congress and honors from the White House News Photographers Association and National Press Club.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.