About the Role:
CQ is seeking a summer intern for its news production desk. The ideal candidate is interested in reporting and writing for a news organization. They have an interest or experience in public policy; a degree or significant coursework in journalism or a related field, and experience with social media and web production. The successful candidate will be interviewed and screened in advance by CQ editors.
- Compose social media posts about Congress and U.S. policy
- Work with reporters on Capitol Hill; assist them by helping collect and scan key congressional documents; gathering quotes or conducting interviews as needed
- Add metadata to government-related documents and post them to our site
- Perform quality assurance of site content and edit short news items
- Cover congressional hearings, markups or news conferences and briefings; write stories for CQ and Roll Call as assigned
- Work for 10 to 12 weeks, schedule permitting
- Completed at least two years of college, with significant coursework in journalism, English or a related field
- Experience and/or coursework in digital production
- Regularly written or edited for a campus publication during at least one school year. Three writing samples are required at the time of application.
- An interest in government or politics
- A strong sense of accuracy and attention to detail
- An ability to write with neutral, nonpartisan language that eschews political spin
You have a strong interest in media, government and politics and want to explore a potential career in the Washington area. You want to learn more about the federal legislative process and help others understand how public policy is developed. You're an easy-going team player who can work flexible hours, performing varied tasks under varied deadlines in varied environments.
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We represent the largest press corps on Capitol Hill and serve an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote earned the Top Workplace™ award for our ever growing and diverse company culture bolstered by our company values which are at the core of every decision we make. We are always looking for individuals who are excited and driven by opening data to help impact the world around them.