About the Role
CQ Roll Call seeks a detail-oriented deputy editor with experience managing multiple databases and knowledge of Congress to help manage a suite of congressional data products including CQ Transcripts and CQ Daybook. The Deputy Editor will help the Transcripts Editor plan and direct transcript coverage of congressional hearings and other news events as well as anticipate client needs while balancing a capricious congressional schedule. The individual will serve as a backup to the Transcripts Editor in the production of CQ Daybook as well as help maintain CQ's Testimony product. Regular night work is expected, depending upon client needs and the Congressional schedule.
• Assist Transcripts Editor with coverage of CQ’s Transcripts, Schedules and Testimonies products, helping to manage workflow for all products and ensuring content accuracy and timeliness
• Help with the planning and coordination of daily and weekly transcripts coverage of congressional events, including hearings, press briefings and leadership events
• Demonstrate proficiency of operational tools and procedures and knowledge of other CQ legislative products.
• Respond to and coordinate client requests and questions regarding transcripts, schedules and testimonies in a timely and professional manner and coordinate communication with cross-departmental personnel when necessary
• Assist with the management of daily and weekly tasks related to database maintenance to ensure all products maintain CQ Roll Call's high standards of accuracy and that multiple daily deadlines are met.
• Contribute to CQ and Roll Call news-gathering efforts
• Juggle multiple assignments, some with tight deadlines, as you balance an unpredictable schedule driven by Congress and its actions
• Strong organizational skills and experience editing multiple databases
- At least 1-2 years experience with a news, policy, politics, or related organization (or having worked in related capacity elsewhere)
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience working with databases at a news organization or other related organization
• A working knowledge of major congressional policy issues
• Experience working with and ability to trouble-shoot databases, managing vendor work and using quality control measures to ensure data accuracy.
• Knowledge of AP style
• Excellent planning skills that will allow you to adjust for workflow coverage needs, the congressional calendar and elections
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and hearing rooms. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill. Our journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate and how the process affects your interests. We have print, digital and multimedia products as well as topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, committee and floor votes. Our journalists have won the Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting on Congress and honors from the White House News Photographers Association and National Press Club.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.