About the Role
Are you a congressional nerd, policy wonk or political junkie? If so, you might be CQ Roll Call’s next Legislative Tracking Editor to help maintain a database of information from (and on) areas such as the Congressional Record, Federal Register, House & Senate floor actions, and broad legislative analysis. This individual will direct a dedicated team to ensure the comprehensiveness and accuracy of CQ Roll Call content.
- Take ownership of congressional coverage, commanding not only the system’s infrastructure but the content and its presentation
- Demonstrate mastery of operational tools, procedures, and troubleshooting
- Quickly and accurately collect, process and publish legislative data, documents, amendments and bill information
- Train researchers on the processing and publishing of the data, as well as serving as a leader among new, less-experienced hires
- Politely respond to and act upon client questions or requests for information, documents, transcripts or other data in a timely manner
- Proactively communicate with account managers on newsworthy materials
- Work with other editors to contribute to the larger newsroom's news-gathering efforts via planning stories and working on long-term projects
- Assume responsibility for ensuring the larger newsroom is fully aware of all congressional actions, as they happen
- Cultivate relationships with congressional sources and government agencies for informational, journalistic and document source purposes and help colleagues do the same
- Recruit, train, coach and cultivate a talented team of researchers; complete related internal management training
- Successfully develop a comprehensive knowledge of CQ Roll Call legislative tracking products
- Adapt to and balance long hours and a capricious congressional schedule while juggling multiple assignments
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, English, political or government studies, or other relevant disciplines
- Ability to master the details of congressional politics and policy
- Experience working with multiple databases
- Strong attention to detail and knowledge of AP Style
- Minimum of two years’ experience with a news, policy, politics, or related organization (or having worked in related capacity elsewhere)
- Ability to manage a calendar relating to congressional sessions and plan for workflow and coverage needs
- A commitment to the power of journalism and to a non-partisan work environment
The position requires exceptional accuracy and attention to detail, as well as the ability to work under pressure and meet firm deadlines. The editor will direct a team in covering House and Senate action gavel-to-gavel and must be available to work hours and dates largely decided by the congressional schedule.
If this role matches your skills, experience, and motivations, please submit your CV with a cover letter identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
Washington’s CQ Roll Call brings up-to-date news, analysis, and insights to senior decision-makers on Capitol Hill. This trusted source of unbiased, impartial information provides authoritative, nonpartisan and accurate congressional news and legislative tracking tools to its subscribers. Through more than 40 print and online products, CQ Roll Call keeps readers updated on a weekly, daily and real-time basis covering every legislative action in Congress with breaking news, bill tracking, and member profiles and offers insight on the people and institutions that influence public policy and legislation.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote earned the Top Workplace™ award for our ever-growing and diverse company culture bolstered by our company values which are at the core of every decision we make. We are always looking for individuals who are excited and driven by opening data to help impact the world around them.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.