About Multimedia at CQ Roll Call
Our growing team is bringing policy and politics to life with visuals and audio. We’re creatives who are transforming how stories are told and fostering that culture across the newsroom. We embrace change and we’re aligned as committed storytellers who seek the truth. Our shared mission — to deliver news that helps audiences navigate change in tumultuous times.
About the Role
CQ Roll Call is seeking an experienced audio-visual engineer to oversee our brand-new, state-of-the-art video and podcast studios. Candidates for this position will work directly with producers and journalists on staff to ensure high-quality production and delivery of all audio and video content on deadline.
You’ll join our team for the development, launch, and execution of exciting, creative new podcasts and video shows. You’re a self-starter, interested in building things, fixing things and overseeing quality control.
Things are moving quickly here, and so will you. You’ll immediately get up to speed on the equipment list for our new studios, making recommendations to senior leadership and consultants on things we’ve missed and scenario planning. You’ll also be key to getting our “AV go-kits” assembled for our journalists who are heading out on the campaign trail and beyond this summer.
You’re a problem-solver at heart who stays calm under pressure and enjoys working with creative, passionate people.
• Oversee all technical aspects of CQ Roll Call’s audio and visual storytelling
• Create and document ironclad recording workflows and studio best practices
• Train multimedia team on the basics of studio technology
• Manage manufacturer training as new equipment is delivered, create documentation and establish vendor relationships
• Test and ensure preparedness of broadcast systems prior to scheduled studio use
• Operate Newtek Tricaster switcher and Newtek Talkshow Skype controllers and other live video equipment during shows
• Operate soundboard during podcast tapings
• Use streaming encoders for live video streaming events
• Schedule, connect, and route transmissions (IP, ISDN, T1, etc.)
• Research and recommend a media asset management system
• Troubleshoot technical problems on studio and field multimedia reporting equipment
• Restore, repair and sweeten audio
• Thrive in a fast-paced environment, keeping calm during live and live-to-tape recordings
• On occasion, you may jump into a Premiere or Audition project to help with editing longer-term video or audio projects in a pinch
• At least seven years of experience managing audio-visual content at a news or publishing outlet
• Strong comprehension of processing gear, computer applications, digital editing and internet applications necessary for producing broadcast-quality audio and visuals across the multimedia department
• Specific knowledge of soundboards, digital sound mixers, ethernet switches and creating/building strong audio environments is a must
• Specific knowledge on Newtek Tricaster video production switchers, NDI, graphics software, pan/tilt/zoom cameras and controllers, lighting controllers and other key elements of a video control room
• Familiarity with teleprompters, foot switches, IFBs and other key elements of a live video studio
• An ear and eye for the details that make clean multimedia pieces
• Ability to think ahead, predict potential technical issues and scenario plan around those issues
• Proven track record operating under tight deadline constraints
• Experience with live production
• A drive to work with journalists telling stories that serve the public good
• Experience building a new studio from the ground up is a plus
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and hearing rooms. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill. Our journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate and how the process affects your interests. We have print, digital and multimedia products as well as topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, committee and floor votes. Our journalists have won the Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting on Congress and honors from the White House News Photographers Association and National Press Club.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.