About the Role
CQ Roll Call is seeking a data visualization reporter to join our growing Data and Graphics Team. The ideal candidate seeks the narrative in data and tells it through a variety of engaging, immersive visual tools.
You are skilled at working in code, thinking in numbers and speaking in interactives, maps and charts. You know all the graphic rules, and just as importantly, when to break them. You hate pie charts but can give three examples of when they should be used anyway.
You have deep experience in newsrooms and a solid understanding of their digital and print workflows. Strong collaboration skills are essential — this job will work closely with CQ Roll Call reporters and editors, FiscalNote AI data scientists and our development teams to analyze data and produce compelling stories and visualizations. This role will create powerful, investigative content for the following products: the Roll Call website and newspaper, CQ website and magazine and CQ and Roll Call social media platforms.
The candidate must demonstrate the energy and determination to provide interactive data projects on deadline. Applicants should have:
• At least three years of data visualization experience at a news outlet
• A commitment to watchdog coverage that holds the powerful accountable
• Strong development skills and a thirst to learn new languages and tools
• Pitch original, enterprise story ideas that serve our brands’ missions and work with reporters and editors on collaborative projects
• Think critically about graphics and data, with a passion for telling stories using many methods — interactive graphics, graphics, design, writing, and more. You seek and embrace visual critiques.
• Display a keen understanding of interactive graphics: how they’re built, when they’re best used, how concepts can be adapted to tell challenging stories and more
• Use web and document scraping, APIs and other programming strategies to wrangle data that breaks stories
• Develop tools that can speed up analysis and aid in our team’s reporting process
• Build strong relationships with reporters and editors in the newsroom and counterparts in other parts of the company to facilitate partnerships for telling compelling stories
• Inspire reporters and editors throughout the newsroom to use data and visual storytelling whenever relevant
• Use creative thinking to help guide brainstorming with editorial teams, designers and developers
• Manage time, meet deadlines and offer work with the highest standards of accuracy
• Stay up-to-date with data visualization and programming trends; network within the data and news community to gain insights for growing a strong team at CQ Roll Call
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, political or government studies, computer science or other relevant disciplines; degrees in graphic design, statistics or art considered
• Expertise in data wrangling through SQL, Excel, R etc. and version control using Git
• A record of conceptualizing and proposing information graphics, data visualization, interactives and data stories
• A nose for news — you can prioritize projects based on their editorial importance
• Knowledge of, or interest in, data pertaining to policy, politics and campaigns, campaign finance, state finance, regulations and more
• Experience with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and GIS
• Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
• A record of success as an idea generator and reputation as a proactive visual leader
• Ability to manage your time and quickly switch among various development projects, working between short-term and long-term deadlines
• Strong interpersonal communication skills
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We represent the largest press corps on Capitol Hill and serve an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.