About the Role
CQ Roll Call seeks a reporting intern for a paid 10-12 week internship during the summer. We tell stories about policy-making on topics being debated by Congress, the administration and federal regulators. This internship will give a promising student the opportunity to write spot news and features for the web, newsletters and a magazine geared to a sophisticated audience of decision makers. Our award-winning journalists keep readers informed with nonpartisan legislative tracking, news and analysis.
- Report and write news stories, features and other content on a variety of public policy and political topics
- Contribute to specific beats as needed
- Work different shifts as needed. Some late nights or weekends are possible
- Keep up-to-date on developments in Congress, the administration and federal agencies
- Get training on reporting and writing for multiple platforms, with opportunities to contribute to our podcasts and videos
- Be coached by editors and reporters on how to cover government, politics and policy
- Successfully complete a writing test and be interviewed for this role
- A bachelor’s degree or at least three years of work toward one, with significant coursework in journalism, English or a related field
- Regularly written or edited for a campus publication during at least one school year, or equivalent work experience. Three writing samples are required with your application.
- A strong interest in government or politics
- A commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- An ability to write with neutral, nonpartisan language that eschews political spin
- Strong written and verbal communication abilities
You have a strong interest in media, government and politics and want to explore a potential career in the Washington area. You want to learn more about the federal legislative process and help others understand how public policy is developed. You're an enthusiastic team player who can work collaboratively in a fast-paced, competitive environment.
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We represent the largest press corps on Capitol Hill and serve an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote earned the Top Workplace™ award for our ever growing and diverse company culture bolstered by our company values which are at the core of every decision we make. We are always looking for individuals who are excited and driven by opening data to help impact the world around them.