About the Role
CQ Roll Call is searching for an experienced journalist for the role of Senior Policy Editor to manage a team of CQ policy reporters that produce distinctive news stories, enterprise and other content for an audience of sophisticated subscribers.
We’re looking for someone with excellent news judgment, superior editing skills, and a strong record of leadership and management who can inspire journalists to tell stories that connects the dots for readers. We want an editor who works collaboratively; who can drive coverage for print, digital, audio and video; and think creatively about maximizing content.
- Effectively lead a team of up to four reporters. Specific policy topics and number of direct reports to be determined based on skills and expertise
- Conceive sharply focused news stories, analyses and enterprise about public policy and politics, and the legislative or regulatory process, as well as the people who have the influence to drive or change the debate
- Edit content under tight deadlines for a variety of platforms and products, including CQ’s subscription website, magazine and newsletters; as well as for publication on Roll Call through its public-facing website and Capitol Hill newspaper
- Collaborate with your fellow CQ and Roll Call editors on the daily report, and work with the team to conceive new content verticals and channels for distribution
- Coach and mentor journalists with different skills, experience and expertise
- 7+ years of experience in editing roles at newspapers, digital news websites or magazines, or other news media outlets. Experience in a Washington bureau or state capital is helpful.
- Expertise with different public policy issues before Congress, the White House, or federal agencies
- Experience managing journalists who have covered legislation, politics, campaigns or business is required
- Knowledge of the federal budget and appropriations process
- An understanding of how to enhance and elevate text through photos, video, graphics and podcasts/audio
- Strong news judgment, excellent editing skills and mastery of AP style
- Strong people and talent management skills
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
You are a self-motivated journalist with the drive to succeed, a desire to hold the powerful accountable and assist readers in understanding the development of public policy, and a track record of directing teams to produce high-quality content. You’re a team player who pitches in wherever necessary to support your colleagues and the company.
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We represent the largest press corps on Capitol Hill and serve an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management and Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.