About Engineering at FiscalNote
FiscalNote’s Engineering team pushes the boundaries of open data transparency, while collaborating with some of the industry’s brightest engineers and data scientists to devise, nurture, and implement cutting-edge solutions to continuously evolving engineering obstacles. Our team draws from a wealth of diverse life and career experiences that allow us to think outside of the box and ahead of the curve. The FiscalNote platform includes several features and apps such as an integrated suite of web-based management tools, custom websites, mobile sites, mobile apps (iOS, Android), API integrations, IaaS, PaaS integrations and more.
About the Role
We’re seeking an experienced VP of Engineering to lead and develop our engineering team. You'll partner with the Senior VP of R&D and other leaders in the organization to help define and carry out the company's strategic direction, development and future growth.
This role will lead teams of engineers and developers that build and extend our SaaS platform and mobile apps. The position will work closely with Product, UX and QA and other departments to design, develop, maintain, and ensure quality delivery of our application services and products.
• Provide the Engineering team with a technical vision, roadmap and leadership
• Align and develop organizational structure to meet business needs
• “Leader of leaders”: directly manage team directors and managers, ensuring that each team is aligned with short and long term objectives
• Help shape and translate the company priorities into a clear and actionable engineering roadmap, balanced with tech debt and other engineering priorities
Serve as Engineering/Tech SME
• Manage full cycle development process from planning through release for new features and existing products
• Gain a sound understanding of our development environment; identify gaps and lead projects to close those gaps
• Drive technical development for sprints, based on project objectives and business requirements
• Roll up sleeves and play hands on coding role where appropriate
• Create processes and supporting metrics to ensure efficiency and quality of software development implementation and maintenance
• Participate in escalated defect triage and work with team to resolve prioritized defect fixes
• Research and prototype new technologies and tools as we evolve our platform tech stack
• Be accountable for project execution and quality
• Continuously work to improve process and workflow in engineering and cross-functionally
• Shape engineering best practices and policies
• Manage assigned expense budget
Serve as the Talent Evangelist
• Serve as a talent leader with the drive to ensure the success of FN’s most critical asset - its workforce
• Actively recruit and build the engineering team with a focus on diversity of thought and background
• Support professional growth and business continuity by ensuring top performers are nurtured & mentored into future leaders including implementation of training programs
• Develop processes and KPI’s to enable team to meet business expectations
• Promote the FiscalNote brand in the greater community (eg: host events, contribute to open source, encourage teammates to speak at conferences)
Deep Partnership & Collaboration
• Report to the SVP of R&D while collaborating with other executive leaders and stakeholders on the Sales/Business Development, Marketing & Product teams, and People and Finance leaders
• Work closely with product managers and UX designers to understand and translate product requirements into technical specs for development
• Establish and manage relationships with outside software vendors and security firms
• 15+ years of experience leading technical initiatives on multiple platforms including SaaS/PaaS products
• Experience with data production, analytics technologies including but not limited to big data, Hadoop, ElasticSearch, data mining and analytics and business intelligence & visualization
• Working knowledge of production environments (Unix, Bash, nginx, etc.)
• Experience in each of the following: SQL, Elasticsearch, Redis
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple stakeholder relationships, competing priorities, lead and participate in change management in a growing, scaling organization
• Ability to develop solutions when faced with constraints
• Experience with management of teams of 50-60 engineers (multi-site and remote)
• Demonstrated experience and passion for recruiting, growing and "leveling up" an engineering team including training and mentoring new managers and team leads
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Experience managing detailed budgets
• Experience with M&A and global strategy preferred
More About You
You have experience recruiting and building diverse engineering teams. You lead by example, promoting a positive and inclusive company culture and fostering trust and transparency. You treat everyone as a peer and are an active listener. People are always impressed at your prioritization ability, driven by your strong customer-centric instinct and passion for delivering incredible customer experiences. You are an experienced team manager who is comfortable managing multiple priorities, projects and personalities. You must also be an experienced engineering leader who can define the detailed technical requirements according to your implementation vision, and keep the development team on track.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote earned the Top Workplace™ award for our ever growing and diverse company culture bolstered by our company values which are at the core of every decision we make. We are always looking for individuals who are excited and driven by opening data to help impact the world around them.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.