About the Role
CQ Legal, which covers state and federal business regulation in the courts and regulatory agencies, is searching for a general assignment reporter who can write knowledgeably about regulation in nine different areas -- banking, securities, insurance, energy and environment, immigration, capital markets, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions and data privacy -- at the intersection of government and business. This role offers you primarily the opportunity to break news, while also writing in-depth pieces of interest to customers around the world, and produce long-form magazine narratives for a sophisticated audience. Your expertise may also be utilized for podcasts and other media.
· Track regulatory developments and break news to keep subscribers informed
· Be ready to write on a variety of topics at any given time, and pitch in on specific beats as needed
· Demonstrate expertise about Congress, the White House, federal agencies and politics
· Develop sources and contacts that can be relied upon
· Connect the CQ Legal audience with developments in federal, state and local government
· Inform your reporting with data by analyzing data sets to determine trends
· 2+ years of journalism experience covering regulation and or Washington issues, a focus on business, particularly financial, issues are a plus
· Demonstrated understanding of the federal budget and appropriations process
· Proven ability in covering policy-making through the lens of state legislatures, Congress or government agencies
· Computer-assisted reporting skills including use of databases, Excel and other programs and tools
· A track record of producing unique scoops and compelling features
· Strong written and verbal communication abilities
· Exceptional time management and organizational skills
· A desire to work in a fast-paced, competitive environment
· A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
You are a self-motivated professional with the drive to succeed. You’re a team player who pitches in wherever necessary to support your team, the company and its clients, and readers interested in public policy.
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We serve as an integral part of FiscalNote's mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management and Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.