About the Role
CQ Legal, which covers state and federal regulation in the courts and regulatory agencies, is searching for a reporter who can write knowledgably about securities markets and regulation. The position will require the reporter to maintain a detailed understanding of the agencies, congressional committees and major players to break news daily. This role also offers the opportunity to produce in-depth pieces of interest to customers around the world, and long-form magazine narratives for a sophisticated audience. Your expertise may also be utilized for podcast / new media formats.
• Track regulatory developments and break news to keep subscribers informed
• Be ready to write on a variety of securities issues
• Demonstrate expertise about Congress, the White House, federal agencies and politics
• Develop sources and contacts that can be relied upon
• Connect the CQ Legal audience with developments in federal, state and local government
• Inform your reporting with data by analyzing data sets to determine trends
• 2+ years of journalism experience covering regulation and or Washington issues, a focus on business, particularly financial, issues are a plus
• Demonstrated understanding of the federal budget and appropriations process
• Experience covering financial technology (“fintech”) issues a plus
• Proven ability in covering policy-making through the lens of state legislatures, Congress or government agencies
• Computer-assisted reporting skills including use of databases, Excel and other programs and tools
• A track record of producing unique scoops and compelling features
• Strong written and verbal communication abilities
• Exceptional time management and organizational skills
• A desire to work in a fast-paced, competitive environment
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
You are a self-motivated professional with the drive to succeed. You’re a team player who pitches in wherever necessary to support your team, the company and its clients, and readers interested in public policy.
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and hearing rooms. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill. Our journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate and how the process affects your interests. We have print, digital and multimedia products as well as topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, committee and floor votes. Our journalists have won the Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting on Congress and honors from the White House News Photographers Association and National Press Club.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.