About the Role
CQ Roll Call is searching for a policy reporter to cover state and federal spending and policy on transportation systems and infrastructure needs, and their relationship to the economy and environment.
Government regulation of autonomous vehicles; investment in airports, waterways, transit and highways; safety and emissions standards; and airline and rail oversight are among the issues we cover. We're especially interested in the federal budget and appropriations process for the U.S. Department of Transportation.
• Break news and track legislative developments for all CQ and Roll Call products, including a public-facing website and newspaper as well as a subscription-based website and magazine aimed at a sophisticated audience
• Demonstrate expertise on transportation and infrastructure issues
• Connect the CQ Roll Call audience with developments in federal, state and local government
• Inform your reporting with data, including the proprietary government data collected by CQ Roll Call and its parent, FiscalNote
• Pitch and produce sharply focused stories for all CQ and Roll Call print and digital products, including interactive graphics, audio and video
• Work as part of a collaborative team that supports each other's work.
• 5+ years of journalism experience covering transportation systems and infrastructure for a newspaper, news website, magazine or other news outlets
• Demonstrated ability in writing about public policy and politics. Experience covering Congress, federal agencies or a legislative body is helpful
• Computer-assisted reporting skills including use of databases, Excel and other programs and tools
• A track record of producing unique scoops and compelling features under tight deadlines
• Strong written and verbal communication abilities
• Exceptional time management and organizational skills
• A desire to work in a fast-paced, competitive environment
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
You are a self-motivated journalist with the drive to succeed and an eye for connecting the dots. You’re a team player who pitches in wherever necessary to support your team, the company, and readers interested in transportation and infrastructure.
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and hearing rooms. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill. Our journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate and how the process affects your interests. We have print, digital and multimedia products as well as topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, committee and floor votes. Our journalists have won the Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting on Congress and honors from the White House News Photographers Association and National Press Club.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.