About the Role
CQ Roll Call is searching for a general assignment reporter who will write about policy-making, including a variety of topics such as education, labor, general business or other issues being debated by Congress, the administration or federal regulators. We keep our readers informed with legislative tracking, as well as news and analysis through print, digital, audio and video. This role will offer you the opportunity to break news and write long-form magazine narratives for a sophisticated audience. Your expertise will also be utilized for podcasts, videos, and events.
- Track legislative developments and break news to keep subscribers informed
- Be ready to write on a variety of topics at any given time, and pitch in on specific beats as needed
- Demonstrate expertise about Congress, the White House, federal agencies and politics
- Develop sources, contacts and stories in policy areas that are not currently part of CQ's daily coverage
- Connect the CQ Roll Call audience with developments in federal, state and local government
- Inform your reporting with data by analyzing data sets to determine trends
- Pitch and produce sharply written stories for all CQ and Roll Call products
- 5+ years of journalism experience covering policy issues, a focus on business, education, labor and workforce issues are a plus
- Demonstrated understanding of the federal budget and appropriations process
- Proven ability in covering policy-making through the lens of a legislative body, Congress or government agencies
- Computer-assisted reporting skills including use of databases, Excel and other programs and tools
- A track record of producing unique scoops and compelling features
- Strong written and verbal communication abilities
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, competitive environment
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
You are a self-motivated professional with the drive to succeed. You’re a team player who pitches in wherever necessary to support your team, the company and its clients, and readers interested in public policy.
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We represent the largest press corps on Capitol Hill and serve an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management and Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.