About the Role
CQ Roll Call is seeking a digital audio producer to join its growing newsroom podcast team. Candidates have experience telling engaging, compelling audio stories with broadcast-quality sound and strong narratives. From gathering archive sound to recording clear, clean interviews and host voiceovers, to analyzing metrics — you’ll be working with a senior producer to execute our ambitious, fun and vital podcast missions.
You’ll join our team for the development, launch, and execution of creative, new podcasts in areas such as financial technology and energy policy and the 2020 campaign. You’re a self-starter and interested in building things from the ground up. At a time when CQ Roll Call is also building a state-of-the-art podcast studio, and investing in multimedia overall — you’ll be integral to shaping our vision.
You’re a storyteller at heart, with a passion for podcasts. You’ve worked in newsrooms and thrive in fast-paced, journalistic environments.
• Gather and source timely, accurate news and archival audio
• Edit complex narrative audio that feels natural and organic
• Record studio and field interviews free of distortion, roominess, interference and other distracting and unnecessary sounds; ability to coach reporters on gathering quality audio in the field is a plus
• Achieve balanced and consistent sound mixing for a clear, consistent feel
• Work with senior producer and hosts on crafting a compelling, engaging narrative for each episode with a clear story arc
• Thrive in a fast-paced environment, working across the newsroom with editors and reporters, and keeping calm during live and live-to-tape audio podcasts
• Promote products to podcast apps, social media channels, and more
• Foster a community within each podcast audience, using social media and other tools to solicit questions from listeners and creatively engage with them in unique ways
• Gather analytics and work with producers and newsroom leaders to analyze metrics for strategic adjustments and future podcast development
• 3-5 years experience telling audio stories at a major news outlet, with a bachelor’s or equivalent in journalism or a related field; a technical sound or broadcast degree is a plus
• Strong comprehension of processing gear, computer applications, digital audio editing and internet applications necessary for producing broadcast-quality audio across multiple podcasts
• Specific knowledge on mini-disc recorders and players, digital sound mixers and creating/building strong audio environments is a must
• Assist reporters and editors in using their smartphone to record and transmit audio content to the studio when on assignment
• Set up studio phone booth to conduct phone interviews with guests or reporters
• A drive to tell accurate, concise stories that serve the public good
• Strong attention to detail for executing clean individual podcasts, but also the ability to step away to think big and thematically about the totality of episodes in production
• A pulse on the audio storytelling industry. You keep up on new tools and equipment that will help our products shine
• Proven track record operating under tight deadline constraints
• A keen interest in current events, U.S. and world politics
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and hearing rooms. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill. Our journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate and how the process affects your interests. We have print, digital and multimedia products as well as topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, committee and floor votes. Our journalists have won the Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting on Congress and honors from the White House News Photographers Association and National Press Club.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.