About the Role
CQ Roll Call seeks an energetic and skilled journalist to lead the team that writes and updates profiles of House and Senate members; collects and maintains biographical data about lawmakers and contact information about each of their staff, and tracks and analyzes details about elections and districts. You’re a political junkie and data nerd who is a strong project manager with an eye for detail.
- Own CQ’s coverage of members by managing two reporter-researchers responsible for writing profiles and producing other content, maintaining the system’s infrastructure and presenting data, biographical profiles and other content
- Demonstrate mastery of operational tools, procedures, and troubleshooting
- Train researchers on the processing and publishing of data and be a coach and mentor to less-experienced team members interested in journalism and analysis
- Respond to and act upon client questions and requests for information or other data in a timely manner
- Work collaboratively with editors and reporters and contribute to CQ and Roll Call news-gathering efforts by assigning and editing stories and assisting in data analysis, enterprise and long-term projects
- Be responsible for informing CQ and Roll Call editorial staff of any changes to congressional member data, as they happen
- Cultivate relationships with congressional sources and government agencies for informational, journalistic and document source purposes and help colleagues do the same
- Recruit, train, coach and cultivate a talented team of researchers and reporters; complete related internal management training
- Develop knowledge of CQ Roll Call products and how members’ data can enhance them
- Juggle multiple assignments, some with tight deadlines, as you balance an unpredictable schedule driven by Congress and its actions
- Strong organizational skills and a proven track record as a project manager.
- 3+ years experience with a news, policy, politics, or related organization (or having worked in related capacity elsewhere)
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience as a project manager, supervising editor at a news organization or content editor
- Ability to master details of congressional politics and policy
- Experience working with multiple databases
- Mastery of AP style
- Superior planning skills that will allow you to adjust for workflow, coverage needs, the congressional calendar and elections
- A commitment to the power of journalism and to a nonpartisan work environment
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We represent the largest press corps on Capitol Hill and serve an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management and Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.