About the Role
CQ Roll Call is seeking an editor to oversee coverage of immigration, homeland security and changing demographics. The editor will assign and edit stories for print and digital, including breaking news, analysis, enterprise and features that connect the dots between policy, politics and people.
You’re eager to join a team with a strong tradition of excellence that is investing in people and new coverage areas. We’re looking for an editor who can drive thought-provoking and distinctive coverage at a critical time in history.
You’re the type of editor who goes beyond the obvious headline and develops stories with context and impact that ignite the debate in Washington and beyond. You can translate policy developments into stories that show the impacts of policy on people.
Your typical day might include working with your team and data specialists to analyze the latest border statistics, conceiving video or audio components, and sharpening the reporting and writing of stories.
• Manage a team of up to four reporters covering immigration, homeland security and demographics such as race, age and gender that are changing America. Your team will follow developments in congressional committees and federal agencies, as well as those beyond the Beltway.
• Assign news, analysis, features and enterprise for sophisticated audiences in front of and behind a pay wall. The stories you tell aren’t restricted to Washington, but should include travel to locales affected by legal and illegal immigration and other demographic shifts.
• Develop strong narratives that illuminate the dramatic human stories in these topic areas.
• Stay on top of legislative and policy developments to help keep subscribers and readers informed, including how taxpayer dollars are spent on immigration enforcement and the 2020 census.
• Polish, rewrite and restructure stories as needed for different platforms and products.
• Collaborate with your team and fellow editors across all CQ Roll Call including CQ Legal, which is required to produce three stories a day about immigration for a regulatory and legal audience.
• At least 5 years as an assignment or content editor at a daily news organization. Experience editing stories about Congress and the federal government, especially the Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. immigration agencies, is helpful but not necessary.
• A demonstrated record of producing scoops, enterprise and analysis.
• A proven ability at covering policy-making through the lens of state legislatures, Congress or government agencies.
• Working knowledge of the federal budget and appropriations process
• Computer-assisted reporting skills including use of databases, Excel and other programs and tools.
• Strong written and verbal communication abilities.
• Exceptional time management and organizational skills
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and hearing rooms. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill. Our journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate and how the process affects your interests. We have print, digital and multimedia products as well as topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, committee and floor votes. Our journalists have won the Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting on Congress and honors from the White House News Photographers Association and National Press Club.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.